North Peace Agricultural Museum
Fire was a huge concern for early communities as almost all buildings and dwellings were constructed of wood. With no building codes and poor planning, a bad fire could eradicate an entire block, or the community. Many communities established a volunteer fire department early on, and these departments still play a vital role in our communities today. This horse drawn fire engine has a gasoline powered pump. The driver sat on the gas tank. The Peace River volunteer fire department was established as early as 1914, and received its first fire hall in 1916. This building remained the fire department’s headquarters until the present fire hall on the corner of 100th Ave and 101st street was built and opened in 1964.