Stone pipes were durable fur-trade items. They were easier to transport to the Peace River than white-fired clay pipes. Clay pipes frequently broke on the journey here so it didn’t make economic sense to send many.
This “Micmac” stone pipe was discovered at Fort St. John (1806-1823). It has an acorn shaped bowl attached to the base by a narrow neck. These pipes were made by sawing the stone of a block, drilling and carving the bowl, filing the exterior, and adding decoration. Lead inlay decorates this pipe and was applied by pouring molten lead into channels on the surface.