North Peace Agricultural Museum
Mennonites, who settled in the steppes of Ukraine at the end of the 1700s, were compelled to repair and replace their own machinery due to the isolation, which gradually led to the development of factories producing farm machinery. One of the first implements invented was known as the “bukker,” which were multiple-share plows, initially with three or four plowshares. Later five, six and seven-share bukkers were developed, like this one. After 1880, bukkers were made with a seeding box placed on the top of the plow, dropping the seed into the open furrow. These new models were known as “drill-bukkers.” This plough was made by Gebruder Eberhardt in their base factory at Ulm-Donau in southern Germany, and it is thought to have come to the Peace Country circa 1915.