Fort Vermilion Heritage Centre
The steamship, used to transport passengers and freight, was built and launched at Fort Vermilion by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1905. This sternwheeler was 110 feet long, had passenger accommodations for 25 and a freight capacity of about 80 tons. It usually made three complete trips each season from Fort St. John to Fort Vermilion. By 1952, all commercial river navigation had ceased.