The Lawrence family moved to Fort Vermilion from Kingston, ON in 1885. Henry Lawrence arrived there to become the farm manager and instructor on the mission farm. He was invited to come by his brother Erastus, who had relocated there in 1879. In 1895, Sheridan Lawrence returned to his father Henry’s ranch at Fort Vermilion after visiting relatives in Eastern Canada and the US. While on the return trip, Sheridan purchased from Waterous Engine Works in Winnipeg, a two-inch stone burr mill, complete with smut mill, cleaner and water wheel. In the spring of 1896, the mill was operated for about 2 weeks until the water diminished so much that the wheel would not turn. In 1917, a new midget flour mill, second hand case engine was purchased. This mill turned out 90 thousand pounds of flour the next winter.