Grande Cache Tourism and Interpretive Centre
In 1996, when the Grande Cache Tourism and Interpretive Centre was built, local resident Charlie Delorme built this model of a log cache fur.
The Town of Grande Cache was so named because, in 1820 or 1821, Ignace Giasson, an Iroquois fur trader from Montreal, was working for the Hudson’s Bay Company and collected so many furs that he could not carry them all through the deep snow. He built a large winter cache to store the furs until he returned to retrieve the balance of the load. Thus, this area earned the name “Grande Cache”. In the park, adjacent to the Tourism Centre, there is a log structure on stilts, which is a re-creation of Ignace Giasson’s cache.