A ferry crossing existed at Dunvegan since the late 1800s. As automobiles became more frequent, a new modern ferry was needed. This ferry was built in 1951, and sailed until 1960, when the Dunvegan Bridge was officially opened. It was then moved downstream to operate at Tompkins Landing, which connects Buffalo Head Prairie and La Crete to Highway 35. It operated at Tompkins Landing from 1961 to 1987, when it was retired and replaced by a new ferry. There are only six crossings of the Peace River in Alberta, therefore, this ferry was an extremely important part of transportation in the North. It provided an important link to the outside world for the town of La Crete.